Monday, December 12, 2011

Do you remember when Magazines were $1

I was tweeting about Smash Hits magazine the other day when i received a tweet about a new book being published about the history of Smash Hits Australia magazine. What are the chances? It was all a bit serendipitous really. The new book Pop Life! Inside Smash Hits Australia 1984-2007 published by Affirm Press tells the story of Smash Hits Australia which was published from 1984 to 2007 (it lasted 1 year longer than Smash Hits UK)!
Essential Summer Reading!!!!!!!!!

I clearly remember the first issue with Wham on the cover and when i saw it at my local shop in November 1984, i was beyond excited. It was a little bit of England in Australia (well Edwardstown, Adelaide actually - ie boring suburbia)! It was only $1.00 and I think even then that was cheap. It was a fortnightly ritual buying a copy and reading about your favourite (mostly British) pop stars. This was when POP WAS BIG! We are talking major! The other great thing was the humour and wit that was used in the magazine. I still use some of the lines today like 'down the dumper'.  I actually stopped buying the magazine in the early 90's when TV stars started appearing in the magazine. Who really cares what Bruce Samazan has for breakfast! For the pop purist it just wasn't working anymore. I think i moved onto Juice magazine (that didn't last long) and was in my early 20's at that stage.Words can't describe the impact this magazine has had on me. It definitely started my obsession with magazines and contributed to my desire for pop stars to be witty, funny and not boring. You can visit the facebook page for more information about the book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment