Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fan clubs I have been a member of

I have been a member of a number of FAN CLUBS over the years. I'll save the fanzine list for another post as that list is LONG!

The 4 fan clubs i have been a member of are:

1. BOY GEORGE (1988-1990). George closed it down in 1990 saying it wasn't financially viable to keep the fan club running. The best thing about the club were the flexi discs that came with the newsletter, with George telling jokes and communicating with his fans directly (take that Twitter)! The letter advising the closure of the club said "Remember look at the negative and that is all you will see".

2. KYLIE MINOGUE -Australian Fanclub (1989-1991 and KylieKonnect 2011). I remember I got home from school when the introductory fan club pack had arrived and my sister had already opened it. Nice! I was seething when i read in a future newsletter that a fellow fan club member from Adelaide got to meet Kylie after he had travelled to see her first tour in Melbourne. Hello, what am I chopped liver? I did the same thing but no meet and greet from Kyles for moi! It may have something to do with the fact that i didn't inform her i was going. I am member of Kylie Konnect (Kylies online thing and its quite good).

3. KATE CEBRANO - Australian Fanclub (1990-1991). I was deffo going through a fan club phase. I still have the autographed photo that came with the initial fan club pack.

4. PET SHOP BOYS (2002 and 2008 to current). Well what is there to say about the finest band in pop.They are a band who truly care about their fans. I joined in 2002 as New Years Resolution. Then i re-joined in 2008 when I was London sick and had just moved to Sydney. It is all class. They publish 2/3 newsletters every year with interviews, behind the scenes stuff, detailed news and they send a Christmas card every year (see PSB Christmas Card post). Thats devotion for you!

Its a shame not many bands run traditional fan clubs anymore. Darren Hayes is the only other current popstar who still does. If anyone else knows of any other artists who still run a fan club I'd love to know. Hot suggestions on a post card to Vinylluver headquarters!

No comments:

Post a Comment